The Rajiv Gandhi National Creche Scheme (RGNCS) was launched in 2006 by the Ministry of Women and Child Development with the aim of providing affordable childcare facilities to working mothers. The scheme provides a safe and nurturing environment for children of working women while their mothers are at work.
The Rajiv Gandhi National Creche Scheme is targeted towards working women from the marginalized sections of society, such as women from scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, Other Backward Classes, and minority communities. The scheme also covers women who are destitute or living in difficult circumstances.
Objectives of the Scheme
The Rajiv Gandhi National Creche Scheme aims to achieve the following objectives:
- To provide a safe and nurturing environment for children of working mothers
- To promote the physical, cognitive, and social development of children
- To enhance the economic status of women by enabling them to work
- To promote gender equality by enabling women to participate in the workforce
The Rajiv Gandhi National Creche Scheme covers children between the ages of 6 months to 6 years. The scheme provides the following facilities:
- Nutritious meals and snacks
- Age-appropriate activities and play equipment
- Basic health and hygiene services
- Pre-school education
- Transportation facilities
The Rajiv Gandhi National Creche Scheme is implemented through non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and voluntary organizations (VOs). These organizations are selected by the Ministry of Women and Child Development based on their capacity and experience in providing childcare services.
The Rajiv Gandhi National Creche Scheme is a centrally sponsored scheme, with 90% of the funding coming from the central government and the remaining 10% from the state government. The funding is provided in the form of grants to the selected NGOs and VOs.
The Rajiv Gandhi National Creche Scheme has had a significant impact on the lives of working mothers and their children. The scheme has enabled women to work without having to worry about the safety and wellbeing of their children. It has also provided a nurturing environment for children, which has helped in their overall development.
The implementation of the Rajiv Gandhi National Creche Scheme has faced several challenges, such as:
- Lack of awareness among eligible women about the scheme
- Inadequate infrastructure and resources
- Shortage of trained and qualified staff
- Inadequate monitoring and evaluation mechanisms
The Rajiv Gandhi National Creche Scheme has been a game-changer for working mothers from marginalized sections of society. It has enabled them to work without having to worry about the safety and wellbeing of their children. However, there is a need for greater awareness about the scheme and for better infrastructure and resources to ensure its effective implementation.
Is the Rajiv Gandhi National Creche Scheme available only in certain states?
No, the RGNCS is available across all states in India.
What is the eligibility criteria for NGOs and VOs to implement the Rajiv Gandhi National Creche Scheme?
NGOs and VOs should have experience in providing childcare services and should meet the capacity and infrastructure requirements specified by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
Are the creches open only during working hours?
Yes, the creches are open during working hours, which may vary depending on the organization.
What is the role of the state government in implementing the Rajiv Gandhi National Creche Scheme?
The state government provides 10% of the funding for the scheme and is responsible for monitoring the implementation of the scheme in their respective states.
How can working mothers find out about the Rajiv Gandhi National Creche Scheme?
Working mothers can enquire about the scheme at the nearest Anganwadi or with the Ministry of Women and Child Development.